The Met Gala is the most anticipated fashion event of the year. Each May, designers gather to celebrate the latest Costume institute exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Institute is entirely funded by the fashion industry, and the met gala is their primary source of fundraising.
Past exhibits have included Punk: Chaos to Couture in 2013, and Manus X Machina: Fashion in an age of technology in 2016.
This year`s exhibit, Art of the in-between will examine the Anti-Fashion work of Japanese designer REI KAWAKUBO. KAWAKUBO is the founder and director of fashion label Comme des Garcons, and 150 of her designs will be on display. The fashionista is also known for her Avant-Garde Style, and her apparel has been described as Living sculptures. Even though her clothing might appear to be unwearable, it actually sells quite well. In fact, Rihanna and Lady Gaga are two of her biggest fans. The Met Gala took place on May 1st, 2017 and Art of the in-between runs from May 4th to September 4th. To find out more, you can check http://metmuseum.org.
As it happens every year, a lot of celebrities went to Met Gala and celebrated fashion and diversity. There is no surprise that only a few of them respected the theme for the night. I hate it when people do this at a party, but well, what can you do, everyone is free to do whatever they want.
— bella vita (@drugproblem) May 1, 2017
Even though not all the dresses were Avant-Garde or created by REI KAWAKUBO there were a few I really liked:
- Cara Delevigne wore a Chanel creation which is right up my alley, sparkly, comfortable and sexy, but also Avant-Garde, in my opinion.
- Candice Swanepoel
Gorgeous as always she wore a simple and elegant bespoke gown with a voluminous skirt by Topshop. I like it!
- Blake Lively, in a gold Versage gown with a blue feathered train, which she paired with Lorraine Schwartz‘s 130 carats of sapphire accessories. Shiny Shiny 🙂
- Kendall Jenner wore almost nothing in a show-stopping La Perla Couture dress made without any fabric, only thread and over 85,000 crystals. This dress will probably get into the top ten naked dresses on the red carpet so far. Amazing!
- Rita Ora wore an intricately designed Marchesa gown which in my opinion was both sexy and elegant. Seems like she got the memo about the dress code of the event.
7. Zendaya embraced her natural beauty on the Met Gala beige carpet and wore an off-the-shoulder, whimsical parrot print Dolce & Gabbana dress. She looks like a Jungle princess if such thing exists.
8. Katie Holmes wore a glamorous ruffled off-the-shoulder creation by Zac Posen. Classic and sexy. Nice!
9.Gisele Bundchen screams Sexy back wearing a gorgeous sparkling dress by Stella Mccartney, as always she looks stunning.10. Miranda Kerr looks like a barbie doll in a floral metallic strapless ballgown by Oscar de la Renta or how others described her, the “Belle of the ball” because of her princessy look.
In conclusion, I am curious to know which look was your favourite. 🙂